Whether it's the slimy black spots on your shower curtain, the fuzzy white patches on your basement floor, up in your attic growing between your roof trusses or the slick orange film that forms on your kitchen drain, household mold is more than unsightly. In some cases, mold in your home can make you sick, especially if you have allergies or asthma.

Whether or not you're allergic to molds, mold exposure can irritate your eyesskin, nose, throat, and lungs. Here's what you can do to combat mold problems, and take care of yourself and your home.

 

Mold Reactions: Who's at Risk?

For people sensitive to mold, inhaling or touching mold spores can cause allergic reactions, including sneezingrunny nose, red eyes, and skin rash. People with serious mold allergies may have more severe reactions, including shortness of breath. In people with asthma who are allergic to mold, breathing in spores can also cause asthma attacks.

In addition to people with allergies and asthma, others who may be more sensitive to the effects of mold include: